Mark S. GrotefeldFounding Partner, Austin Office
Mark Grotefeld is a founding member of the firm. Mr. Grotefeld’s trial practice is focused on complex civil cases involving matters both national and international in scope. Mr. Grotefeld received his B.A. from the University of Arizona in 1978 and his J.D. from the John Marshall Law School in 1981. He was admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1981, the Florida Bar in 1982, and the Texas Bar in 2013. Mr. Grotefeld has served as national and regional counsel in large scale catastrophic loss cases, including many wildfire matters and catastrophic explosion events, and has tried matters of national prominence in courts throughout the United States. Mr. Grotefeld has lectured on law topics in the United States, Canada and Europe.
In addition to being admitted to the Federal Trial Bar and several Federal District Courts, Mr. Grotefeld is licensed to practice before the United States Court of Federal Claims, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Grotefeld’s bar association affiliations include the American, Illinois, Florida, and Texas Bar Associations, the National Association of Subrogation Professionals, the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association of Justice.
Mr. Grotefeld frequently presents and lectures at the National Association of Subrogation Professional’s conferences. Recent presentations include: Subrogation Against Your Local or State Government – You Can Win This Fight (2006), Successfully Subrogating Wildfire Claims (2007), Forum Selection and Jury Voir Dire Practices (2008), The Pursuit of Chinese Drywall Claims (2009), Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs: Product Liability and Warning Hazardous Product Safety (2010) and Aggregating Losses to Successfully Litigate High-Profile Cases (2015).
Mr. Grotefeld also presents and lectures at the Wildland Fire Litigation Conferences. Recent presentations include: Inverse Condemnation Theory (2010), Contemporary Subrogation Litigation Issues (2010, 2011) and Plaintiff’s Discovery in Transformer Explosion Cases (2013).
- University of Arizona, B.A 1978
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D. 1981
- United States District Court- Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court- Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court- Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court- Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court- Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court- Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Trial Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Illinois Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
Volunteer / Public Service
- Chicago Boys and Girls Club
- Chicago Urban League
- JMLS Veterans Clinic
- The Nobility Project
Shepherd Mountain Plaza6034 W Courtyard DriveSuite 200Austin, Texas 78730 (737) 226-5310Email